Saturday 2 August 2014

Evil Heroes

When I picked up Steelheart and its short story Mitosis by Brandon Sanderson, I knew they were going to be good books. Their premise is terrific and they were written by a very talented author. But I had no idea just how far my mind would be blown. Without question one of the best series I've ever started, and I literally couldn't put it down. That's partly why I chose to give both a review. Mitosis is short, but just as enjoyable as Steelheart, one of the best books I've read this year.

Great cover!
Both the novel and the novella center around a young man named David, who lives in a world where an event called Calamity created a group of people named Epics, who have virtually any superpower you can dream of. But these aren't the Avengers. Their powers make the Epics ruthless on a scale that would have Captain America cringing. In Steelheart, a young man named David was witness to their brutality when his father was killed by the invincible Steelheart. Ten years later, David is looking for revenge on the most powerful Epic known to exist. To do that, he'll have to join the Reckoners, a ragtag group of humans hellbent on destroying any and all Epics they can find. David's enthusiasm and meticulous planning may help him get into the Reckoners, but that doesn't mean they will help him survive.

I was hooked on Steelheart the moment I began reading. The action and tension is creative and intense. The actual as story is deep and complex, definitely not what you might be expecting. The mythology and setting are unique and well thought out, making every event more engaging and interesting as the Reckoners consider all the consequences of their actions. Every Epic is unique and crushingly dangerous. One of the things I enjoyed most was the concept that the Epics become more powerful, but less human the more they use said powers.

The characters are creative and dimensional. I loved everyone. David is a great, easy-to-relate-to narrator, Prof's history is mysterious and complicated, and I think I have a girl-crush on Megan. The ending was spectacular, providing at least three twists that I wasn't expecting at all. Definitely a story I consider re-reading even now.

Spoilers ahead for the next story, Mitosis. If you don't want to be spoiled, read Steelheart, then come back for the Mitosis review.

I love how they added the new city in this cover.
In the digital short, the Reckoners are living with their new society, freed from Steelheart's boot. But other Epics are looking to take his place, and David soon finds himself the target of someone who wants to make an example of him in the worst possible way.

Mitosis was a lot of fun. It was a short story that presented the heroes with a very serious problem that even I wasn't sure would be solved. Think the main character can't nearly die in a mini sequel? Think again!

Almost all of the main characters returned with their charming personalities and humor. If you read Steelheart, you know who's missing. It was a great little way to help build excitement for the upcoming Steelheart sequel, Firefight.

This is a series I cannot recommend enough, especially in an age where everyone is obsessed with comic books and big screen superheroes. It was brilliant from start to finish, and I can't wait to see where it continues to go.

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment