Sunday 1 March 2015

Sunday Snippet

This Sunday's snippet for WeWriWa features a piece of the next short story I want to submit. The anthology is based on the Greek goddess Nyx, the primordial deity of night. I found the open call on HorrorTree, and once I read the guidelines, how could I not give it a shot?

NYX, also known as Nux, Nox or simply Night is a primordial Greek goddess who personifies the essence of night and darkness. She is the ancient goddess of Night-hence the meaning of her name. She is considered to be one of the most powerful divine beings who was born of the giant cosmic being, Chaos. She is often depicted as a great black winged spirit or riding in a chariot, trailing stars and bringing the night.

In my story, Nyx is stripped of her powers by her cruel farther, Chaos. After he killed the other gods– or so he thought– he sought enjoyment by selecting humans to survival games. In this series, he tasks them to find three items belonging to Nyx: Her starry cloak, her chariot, and her black wings. But first they have to survive the trials placed in front of them, as well as each other...



Thanatos cleared his throat and gained our attention. Donna slunk away from my son’s dark gaze. He did not see the need to help the humans, but he chose to play along.
“Looks like the others are taking the lead,” he said, nodding in the direction of a group of humans running across the open field.
“Damn,” I muttered before taking off after them.
After my display against the Cerastes and the show of power given to me by the cloak, the remaining champions likely believed they would be imbued with magical powers if they reached my wings and chariot. The wings would speak to me alone, but the chariot...
I could not let them take it.



The story started off a little slow, but now that I'm writing in the action scenes, it's going by quickly. I should have it completed and sent by the end of this coming week. Hope you enjoyed the snippet, and remember to support the other WeWriWa authors by leaving comments on their blogs!

Cheers!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment