Sunday 8 March 2015

Sunday Snippet

So I've been talking about it, and talking about it, and here it is– the first snippet in my current WIP: Project Immortality for April Moon Books upcoming Bond Unknown series. The story revolves around Bond being sent on a mission to help rescue some hostages being held in a laboratory where they're being experimented on and turned into horrific creatures. Below, Bond has just met one of those fiends...




Moving quickly, it found its footing again and turned onto all fours, showing Bond what it really was.
Most of the hair on the monster’s head was missing, hanging in patchy strands like dying plant roots. Corpse-grey skin the texture of leather hung loosely on a body so thin, every rib was visible. Torn, jagged yellow knives like shark-teeth stuck out from bony fingernails. Pointed fangs jutted from the bottom and lower lips of the beast, the same as a bat’s. Most of the other teeth were missing. The pupils were so dilated that only the barest ring of blue was visible around them.
Blue… the last vestige of something human.



I have to say, I'm loving this project more than I thought I would. Even with the research and pressure to stay as true to the Ian Fleming novels as possible, it's been exciting and challenging and leaves a lot of room for invention. It'll be exciting to see what other April Moon authors come up with in the next few months.

So, that's my 8Sunday snippet! If you think Bond's in trouble now... oh man. It's just getting started. Remember to check out and leave comments on the other blogs of talented WeWriWa authors. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Cheers,

Amy

12 comments:

  1. Okay, I was eating breakfast while reading this and I had to put my sandwich down. Excellent description. I'm both grossed out and yet I feel sorry for the human it had once been. Excellent excellent snippet. Really drew me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're comment definitely made me smile :D Thank you so much!

      Delete
  2. loveeeee the bit about the blue eyes. A nice, emotional touch after describing the monster. Sounds fun getting to write with Bond! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Fantastic details and vivid imagery! Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, that is one monster I would not want to me in a dark alley, or anywhere to precise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Shivers* Okay, that is one scary- but also a little bit sad!- monster. Great description!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is disturbingly visual. There goes my appetite. And I mean that as a compliment. Scary stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha sounds like I've done my job. Thank you!

      Delete